Acing an interview is an art. Along with diligent preparation, you also need to groom your personality, learn how to be comfortable and confident in the interview room while answering all the questions and how to convince the interviewer that you are the most suitable person for that role. Apart from the required qualifications and experiences, you also need to be capable in articulating your own thoughts in front of the interviewer.
Here are 10 Interview Tips which will help you to crack the interview and get hired:-
- Proper Preparation:Confidence is good but overconfidence can prove to be harmful. Proper preparation is always required and if you neglect that part, both your confidence and answers will get affected. You must invest enough time for that. Divide the time for different things like- analyzing and reading the job description several times, going through the cover letter, researching about the probable interview questions and about the specific industry to which the company belongs to, preparing good answers for those questions with examples, knowing the details of the company.
- Punctuality:-Make sure to reach the venue 15 minutes prior to the time of the interview. No excuses will be valid to redeem your late arrival. From planning the outfit last night to set the alarm, do everything you need to but do not be late. Punctuality will reflect your professionalism and sincerity towards your work.
- Think Before You Speak:-Take a few seconds before you answer anything but do not take much time for that. You better give a well-thought answer rather than a rushed one. Do not use any terms that will reflect your lack of confidence or anxiety even if you do not know the answer.
- Speak with Clarity:-Try to speak calmly, cohesively and clearly in front of the interviewer. It will help you to convey the valuable information more and to reduce the stress of the interview. Otherwise, if you talk too fast, you may look rushed and unconfident.
- Do not be arrogant:-Though it is vital to express that you are capable of promoting yourself, your past job experiences and accomplishments and willing to do the job but do not appear to be a narcissist and arrogant. There will be many obstacles which you need to deal with emotional intelligence. So, you have to be balanced while showing your confidence and talking about your accomplishments. Always remember to give credits to the people responsible for your achievement to let the interviewer know that you are a team player.
- Listen Properly:-Interviews are tricky, you need to carefully listen to the question but mentally preparing for the answer. Even if the interviewer is talking endlessly, be careful to each word, otherwise, you may just miss the main point of the question and end up in delivering a flat irrelevant answer.
- Good Body Language:- No company wants to hire somebody who does not have a good attitude. Even if your personal life is facing some obstacles, leave that baggage outside the interview room. Be natural and express optimism and reasonable perspectives in all your answers. Body language is as important as good words- have a smile on your face throughout, the handshake should be firm, be polite, sit straight and tall at the table.
- Show Interest and not Desperation:-No matter how much you are in need of the job, do not be over enthusiastic and desperate, pleading do not work in these interviews. Also, do not be monotonous or show any kind of disinterest. Keep one thing in mind that you are an asset and worthy as an employee. So act accordingly.
- Beyond Elevator Pitch:-First you need to give that elevator pitch like introducing yourself but then talk about your professional achievements, your strength, your weakness etc. Emphasize your skills, Best qualities and the areas where you need to improve yet. Interviewers like straightforward and honest answers always.
- Gratitude:-Always express your gratitude wherever and whenever needed. In fact, after you get home, send a thank you email. It will show that you are interested in the job.
Interviews are not easy to go through, it can be stressful. But do not be afraid, prepare yourself and crack it.